In 2017 AC&A was commissioned to draft the “Comprehensive Urban Mobility Plan for the Metropolitan Area of San José, Costa Rica”, which defined 6 goals:
- Promote active mobility modes.
- Offer quality public transport.
- Offer safe, efficient and clean mobility.
- Offer universal accessibility.
- Achieve a sustainable city.
- Design a comprehensive metropolitan participatory planning.
In 2018 the “Comprehensive Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan” applied this city vision to the specific area of the 4 central districts in San José: Carmen, Merced, Hospital and Catedral. These present big challenges and opportunities.
The study included an action plan developed in stages with time horizons in 2020, 2025 and 2035, and finally the analysis of the funding options to face these investments. The final result of this study was submitted to local authorities and the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) in late 2018.